Unemployment has been above 8 percent for 42 consecutive months and stood at 8.3 percent in July. It was 7.3 percent in December 2008.
The federal debt has exploded under Obama — in large part because of the recession and anemic recovery. Public debt was $10.7 trillion in December 2008 and is now approaching $16 trillion. After the election, Congress will be asked to raise the nation’s debt limit again.
- Hill Poll: Voters say second term undeserved, country is worse off (thehill.com)
- Obama, Romney courting battleground states ahead of Democratic convention (vancouversun.com)
- Debt to hit $16 trillion just as party gavel in convention… (washingtontimes.com)
- Obama in 2011: Voters not better economically than four years ago (thehill.com)
- National Debt Hits $16 Trillion On Opening Of Democratic National Convention (conservativeread.com)
- Obama: GOP agenda outdated, like watching ‘black-and-white TV’ (thehill.com)
- In Post Convention Poll, Romney’s Image Improves Dramatically Among Crucial Independent Vote (gestetnerupdates.com)
- Obama, Democrats to make their case as convention opens (reuters.com)