Mendeley [mendeley.com] – The collective knowledge across scholarly research is growing exponentially, however much of it can be found buried in desk drawers, left unloved on servers or locked away behind publisher paywalls. Our ability to search, harvest and interpret this information is hugely significant for encouraging future advances and helping researchers organize and navigate a growing ocean of research papers.
Mendeley has built a searchable database of research now numbering in excess of 225 million documents. At the same time, the 1.6 million Mendeley users worldwide have become a social ecosystem for research – sharing, commenting and collaborating on research together across the Internet.
Mendeley gives control of research data back to the community in an effort to make research more collaborative, open, and efficient.
With one of the largest research databases in the world, Mendeley is not only helping to liberate knowledge – now it is using crowdsourcing to help us understand the impact of it. Using metadata from the growing database, and collaborative filtering technologies Mendeley learns about users preferences and interests and then connects them to people with similar interests. It also highlights and recommends related papers for reading that might have been missed. Crowdsourcing heralds a new way of working for researchers, where documents can be pushed to them based on who they are as individuals, rather than them having to be sought our via search engines – saving them time, and ensuring the widest possible understanding of the body of literature available. ♦
- Cool Tool | Mendeley: Changing the Way We Do Research (edtechdigest.wordpress.com)
- Mendeley for libraries by Swets (scienceintelligence.wordpress.com)
- Mendeley: Free Reference Manager, Collaboration Tool, & Online Catalog of Millions of Documents (intellogist.wordpress.com)
- Mendeley: a “Facebook for Researchers”? (scienceintelligence.wordpress.com)
- The Top research papers in computer science by Mendeley readership (mendeley.com)
- Amazon Web Services Blog: AWS Summer Startups: Mendeley (aws.typepad.com)
- Social awareness tools for Science research: Mendeley and SciVee (scienceintelligence.wordpress.com)
- Mahout Becomes a Researcher: Large Scale Recommendations at Mendeley (slideshare.net)