By Alan Shimel – The lawsuits are raging all across the tech world. Oracle sues Google, Yahoo sues Facebook, they counter-sue. Others threaten, others buy more patents and the circle goes round and round.
Don’t be fooled by the lawsuits between these tech titans though. The real cost that the patent mafia extracts from the tech world is on the smaller companies who can’t afford to battle the Apples and Microsofts of the world. Their choices are far simpler. They can abandon their innovations or they can choose to pay and allow the Mafiosos to wet their beaks. Also, don’t be fooled about who the real losers are here. The the real losers are you and me.
While companies are certainly entitled to the fruits of their inventions, many of these patent rackets are based on patents improperly issued, improperly enforced or improperly applied. more> http://tinyurl.com/btn3v4y
- The Patent Mafia and What You Can Do To Break It Up (developers.slashdot.org)
- The Patent Mafia (pochp.wordpress.com)
- Washington Post on Patent Trolls, Software Patents, and Patent Reform (c4sif.org)
- The gangsters of Silicon Valley (venturebeat.com)
- RIM faces new lawsuit over alleged patent infringement pertaining to music playlists (ubergizmo.com)
- Company sues Apple, others over claim of patent on 3G (tuaw.com)
- Twitter Empowers Engineers With New Patent Agreement (empwaynek.wordpress.com)
- Oracle might only receive $150,000 in damages from Google (zdnet.com)
- How much is that patent lawsuit going to cost you? (c4sif.org)
- Patents World-Wide: Deciding Where to Pursue Patent Rights (ipwatchdog.com)