Expedition 30 Cosmonauts Perform Spacewalk
NASA – This image of Russian cosmonauts Oleg Kononenko and Anton Shkaplerov, both Expedition 30 flight engineers, was taken during a spacewalk on Thursday, Feb. 16, 2012. During the six-hour, 15-minute spacewalk, Kononenko and Shkaplerov moved the Strela-1 crane from the Pirs Docking Compartment in preparation for replacing it in 2012 with a new laboratory and docking module. The duo used another boom, the Strela-2, to move the hand-operated crane to the Poisk module for future assembly and maintenance work. Both telescoping booms extend like fishing rods and are used to move massive components outside the station. On the exterior of the Poisk Mini-Research Module 2, they also installed the Vinoslivost Materials Sample Experiment, which will investigate the influence of space on the mechanical properties of the materials. The spacewalkers also collected a test sample from underneath the insulation on the Zvezda Service Module to search for any signs of living organisms. Both spacewalkers wore Russian Orlan spacesuits bearing blue stripes and equipped with NASA helmet cameras.
- The real reason for the IP-propaganda
- Updates from SIEMENS
- The Rise of the New Global Elite
- Views from the Solar System (175)
- Join [tNe] Editorial Panel
- Economic theories misfit for technology adoption
- Updates from Senator Mark Begich
- Comments at the FCC
- Systems Thinking: How to Lead in Complex Environments
- Should The U.S. Get Rid Of Phone Lines?
- Aviation Banking reform Barack Obama Barbara Boxer Bernie Sanders Bill of Rights Broadband Business Business improvement Cable California Capital Climate change Colorado Congressional Budget Office Congress Watch Credit Currency Cybersecurity Debt Deficit Earth Ecology Electronics European Union Federal Reserve System Financial crisis First Amendment Florida Government Health Industrial economy International Space Station Internet Jobs Kentucky Leadership Manufacturing Marco Rubio Michigan Mike Kelly Mitch McConnell Mitt Romney Monetary policy Nancy Pelosi NASA Net evolution New York Ohio Organization Patent Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act Physics Productivity Regulations Renee Ellmers Renewable energy Ron Paul Safety Semiconductor Small business Social economy Social networks Software Space Super regions Technology Test & certification Texas United States United States Congress United States House of Representatives United States Senate Wireless Wireline